Marriage – Facts you need to know - 23
· You need to know it's important to remember why you got married in the first place. Remember why you couldn't live without each other.
· You need to know hungry people are more difficult to be around than well-fed people. If they are acting cranky, it could be their blood sugar.
· You need to know to not jump to conclusions. Like don't assume she's mad at you because she isn't talking. She could have lost a client, been embarrassed by her boss, or driven a screaming two-year-old around all day.
· You need to know that when someone says they can walk away from you, show them the door. No marriage needs threats, coercion, or intimidation.
· You need to know to do something kind for your spouse every day. And not get found out.
· You need to know to accept his apology when it's offered. Even if you think he could have done better.
· You need to know there are words that can cause irreparable damage. Use them cautiously.
· You need to know the phrases "I'm sorry" and "I forgive you" tend to paralyze the lips of most people.
· You need to know if you always fight to win, you could lose everything.
· You need to know just because they're hostile doesn't mean you have to be. In fact, an argument can be avoided simply by not retaliating.
· You need to know you can't control their moods, their fears, their spending, or their happiness. Trying to control anyone will actually cause more problems.
· You need to know that if you work on your own issues instead of theirs, you'll both be happier.
· You need to know to practice kindness, patience, and gentleness daily. It's hard at first, but gets easier.
· You need to know that comparing him to more successful men is an excellent way for him to start comparing you to younger, better-looking women.
· You need to know to remember these words, "You could be right."
· You need to know that, despite what all the marriage books say, you don't need your spouse to be happy in order for you to be happy. Love him and pray for him. And let him work it out.
· You need to know couples can learn to fight without tearing apart the fabric of the relationship.
· You need to know a lot of problems can be solved by just asking for what you want. Like artichokes for dinner. No husband would ever guess that.
· You need to know if you're marrying somebody with an addiction, saying "I do" won't make the addiction go away.
· You need to know to keep flirting with each other. It's how all this got started.