Saturday, September 5, 2009

NOW OR NEVER – IT’S UP TO YOU


NOW OR NEVER – IT’S UP TO YOU

A holy man invited a man whom he had met, to come and join him in the satsang, where people gathered to sing the Name of God.

“Alas, master! Time does not permit me the luxury of joining you every evening,” the man replied. “I am a humble shop keeper, and I have no one, who can look after the shop while I am away!”

The holy man blessed him and left.

The man’s business grew and flourished. The small shop becomes a big store, and he had eight people working under him.

The holy man met him again. “At least now you must be free to come to the satsang?” he enquired gently.

“Master, you know what the world is like,” replied the man. “How can I trust my paid assistances to look after such a big store?”

However, conscience-stricken at the holy man’s concern, he hastened to add, “In a few years’ time, my eldest son will be old enough to take charge of my business and then I shall be free to devote all my evenings to the recitation of the Divine Name in your holy company!”

“So be it,” said the holy man, as he took his leave.

Time passed. The man’s eldest son was now running his father’s business successfully. Once again, the holy man met him, and repeated his invitation to come and attend the daily satsang.

“Oh Master! I do wish I could come and join you,” the man replied. “But business has expanded so much that it takes up all my time and effort. My younger son has just joined us, and I am now training him to take up new responsibilities. In a few years time, I shall be free to come and join you. How I look forward to that blessed day, when I shall leave my worldly cares behind, and sit at your holy feet, singing the Name of God!”

That “blessed day” never came. As the man was wrapped up in his business worries, the angel of death called on him for the appointment which he could not fail to keep.

The business man had not managed to find time to attend the satsang even once!
.