Monday, August 3, 2009

LESSON TO LIFE - WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR ME


WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR ME


A prince was taking a stroll in his beautiful garden, when a sudden doubt crossed his mind. Of what use was his garden? Did everything in the garden benefit him, as the owner?

Drawing near a mango tree, the prince put to it a question, "Tell me, what are you doing for me?"

In answer, the mango tree said, "When the hot summer arrives, my branches are loaded with the most delicious mangoes. Your gardeners gather them, and they are served to you and your guests."

The prince was very pleased with this answer. "Well done!" he said to the mango tree.

Next, his eye feel on a huge Banyan tree. It bore no fruit. The prince wondered what is could be doing for him.

"Tell me what you do for me." He demanded of the Banyan tree.

"I bear no fruit like the mango tree," replied the Banyan. "But I have my own uses. On my branches rest the chirping birds which sing their beautiful songs to wake you at dawn. And further, my spreading branches give shelter to your sheep and cattle!"

"Well done!" said the prince.

He now moved on to the vast meadows of grass. The grass gave no fruit; and it could shelter none.

"What are you doing for me?" he asked the grass.

We give our life so that your sheep and cattle may be nourished, the grass replied.

"Well done!" exclaimed the prince, and his eyes fell on a little daisy that grew amid the lush green grass.

"Little one, what are you doing for me?" he demanded of the tiny flower.

"Nothing! Nothing!" exclaimed the daisy. "I give you no delicious fruits. I cannot offer nests to your birds, shade for your cattle, or nourishment for your sheep and cows. All I can do is be little daisy that I can ever be!"

The words went deep down into the heart of the prince. Kneeling down, he kissed the little daisy.

"Well done little flower! There is no one like you, and I shall always wear you in my buttonhole to remind me of this great truth – that I, too, must be of the best that I can ever be!"