Saturday, October 31, 2009

SECRET OF THE MARQUIS


SECRET OF THE MARQUIS



There was a French Marquis who was raised to his grand and exalted state from humble beginnings.


In his earlier days, he had been a shepherd boy. In the magnificent palace which was now his home, he had a special room, known simply as the “shepherd’s room”. In that room were reproductions of hills and valleys and running streams and rocks and sheepfolds. Here he kept the stuff he had carried and the clothes he had worn as a shepherd.


People expressed their surprise at this unseemly room, which was quite out of place amidst the grandeur of the palace.


“What is the point of having such room in this beautiful palace?” they wondered.


The Marquis replied, “I remind myself, that is what I am. It is only the grace of God that has brought me to this exalted position. If ever my heart is tempted to haughtiness and pride,” he continued, “I simply step into that room and remind myself of what I once was.”




.