Saturday, October 10, 2009

IT WAS I WHO DID IT


IT WAS I WHO DID IT



George is really excited! The young boy has got a new gift from his father – a real axe! It is something he always wanted to possess.

In his happiness and excitement, George runs out into the beautiful garden of their palatial home. His hands are itching to ‘try’ out his new gift.


Unthinkingly, impulsively, he hacks at a few bushes and plants. In just few strokes, they are cut to pieces. George is proud of his handiwork - it is a good axe that he has been given!

The boy’s happiness is however, short-lived. When his father sees his favourite flowerbeds hacked to pieces, he is livid with rage. “Who has done this?” he thunders in anger. “I shall punish the culprit severely if I catch him.”

Young George hears these words and is petrified. But something tells him that he must own up and face the consequences of his actions.

The little boy walks up to his irate father. “Daddy, it was I who did it!”

The father is amazed at the honesty and fearlessness of his son. His anger and rage melt away as he pats his son on the back. “I admire your spirit of truthfulness, my boy,” he tells him proudly.

Such was the spirit of the First President of America – for fearless little boy was none other than George Washington!





.