Friday, December 18, 2009

A MOTHER'S ADVICE

A MOTHER’S ADVICE

 

There was a man of God who brought joy, hope and comfort into the lives of many. Whomsoever he met, he changed their lives for the better.

 

“How do you do it?” they asked him. “What is the secret of the serene joy that seems to radiate from your presence?”

 

In answer, he narrated this incident from his life. He was leaving home as a young man, to tread the spiritual path. His old mother walked along with him, until her weary legs could not carry her any further. It was time to let go off her son – time to say good-bye, perhaps forever! “Promise me one thing before you leave,” she pleaded with him.

 

“What is it, mother?” he asked her gently.

 

“Promise me first,” she insisted.

 

“Dear mother, you must tell me what it is that you want me to do, before I make my promise,” said the young man.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing difficult!” urged the mother. “Just promise me!”

 

“As you wish, dear mother,” said the young man, relenting. “I promise to do as you wish.”

 

The mother kissed her son. “My child,” she said to him earnestly. “It is a wicked world into which you go to seek your salvation. Promise me this – begin every day with God. This is all I ask of you.” And she kissed him once again.

 

“It was this kiss from my mother that changed my life,” concluded the holy man. “My mother taught me the secret of true joy – begin the day with God; and close the day with God!”